As I started my 1876 dress, I was a bit baffled by the overskirts. They seemed so elaborate and they all looked quite different - how to start? As I started, it turned out to be not so difficult after all. Here is how my overskirt looked step by step as I added pieces to the overskirt.
The finished dress will get a post of its own soon, with lots of pictures from photo session at Kohlswa Herrgård, a manor close to where I grew up.
Of course, the real process was way more messy than it looks here, with cutting toile pieces, and experimenting with both them and the actual pieces. This is the pieces I ended up using.
The front overskirt is almost rectangular, with just small darts at waist.
And for the back, three smaller pieces.
First, the not quite finished bodice and skirt, without any overskirt pieces.
With front overskirt added:
Added the blue back pieces:
And with the red:
Finally, it ended up like this (a sneak peak from the photo session). I would have preferred it even more draped, but the blue was too soft and the red too stiff, so this is what I ended up will. I am pretty satisfied anyway. (I just had to add some bows as well, and there might be even more bows added the next time I use it... )